A rhythm-puzzle RPG about a rundown theatre and pleasing its unruly clientele.
Nobody said that opening a theatre on the wrong side of the river was going to be easy! The roof may be leaking, and the audience may be armed to the teeth, but nothing is going to stop the Rainsdowne Players from becoming the premier (and only!) theatre troupe in town!
Got some time to spare? Then try the game for yourself right now!
Opening Night is a complete, free, standalone chapter, which should give you a taste of what I hope to deliver, and improve upon in the full version. You can try it out right now, over at itch.io: Play the Rainsdowne Players: Opening Night [rainsdowne.itch.io]
Opening Night features
- Correctly handle 'friendly encouragement' from your audience, in the form of thrown bottles, tomatoes and even the occasional fish.
- Collect inspiration cards from the audience, and combine them to concoct new plays to please the pickier customers.
- Hang out with a homeless cat who likes board games.
- Convince the ticket desk clerk not to leave her dead end job.
- The final boss is several hundred disinterested schoolchildren.
- Plays like if Paper Mario and Majora's Mask had a child, but the father was secretly Rhythm Tengoku.
In a hurry and prefer a quick gameplay overview instead?
The exploration portion of the game plays out as a puzzle RPG. Controlling either character, you have free reign to explore the theatre and talk to customers and employees. The customers will give you clues about the sort of play they would like to see performed.
By exploring, or pleasing certain customers you will collect inspiration cards. These are used to build a narrative when planning the next play to be put on, which will hopefully, in turn, please more customers.
In addition to planning the play, you will also have to 'survive' the performance, as rowdier members of the audience will attempt to derail the play by throwing things onto the stage! This plays out as an active dodging game, with a hint of rhythmic timing, where you must control both characters simultaneously to dodge incoming projectiles, each of which have different behaviours.
There's also a special performance towards the end of the game which changes things up in chaotic ways, bringing in aspects of colour matching puzzle games!
Planned features for the full version
- Explore outside of the theatre in search of further fame; from the grimy banks of Rainsdowne Harbour, to the bright lights of the Theatre District.
- More variety and more ways to put on plays; liven things up with a dash of swordfighting, or perhaps a musical? Or neglect the theatre entirely to play cards with strangers. You definitely won't just be dodging bottles for the whole game!
- A day and night cycle, together with dynamic weather, to ensure that the world feels more alive, and that the people you meet will vary based on the time of day.
- A visual diary, inspired by the Bombers' Notebook in Majora's Mask, to help you keep track of quests and theatrical accomplishments.
- A character driven story, exploring the future and past of our theatrical duo, as they set out to help rejuvenate the once great local theatre scene.
- Hundreds of new inspiration cards to collect.