2016-05-12: status changed from 'Waiting' to 'Greenlit'
2016-06-03: item has been marked as Incompatable
2016-06-04: item has been marked as Compatable
2016-08-04: item has been marked as Incompatible
2016-08-04: item has been marked as Compatible
2017-11-29: status changed from 'Greenlit' to 'Released'
MMO alternative strategy game. Prepare your intelligent cubes army to claim the throne.
iubes are intelligent cubes"The RTS genre has never had a shortage of ideas to implement, new mechanics to test out, different gameplays to experiment with and so on. And every once in a while, one game just takes the cake. Introducing IUBES." - Softpedia
iubes is a kind of real time strategy game dealing with autonomous AIs. "Kind of" because it doesn't respect every terms of the RTS genre... these little entities gather food, resources and build your army and city according to your clever orders (spoiler: [spoiler]they'll follow blindly your stupid orders too[/spoiler]). Your role is to understand and master their inner mechanism to obtain the most efficient strategy against your enemies. It ends up as a RTS without micro-management, crossing over the god-game genre.
Obviously you'll have to adapt your strategy to their spherical world since you won't be able to hide in a corner, sorry for that.
21,081,948 units killed later...
iubes was released two years ago. After millions of units killed, thousands of battles, it's time to add a whole new dimension. The first chapter was described as a mix between "Populous" and "Age Of Empire". Now let's add a measure of "Game Of Thrones"...
The war will now take place in a coherent MMO world splitted between rivals clans. You'll have to stride the map, run through the environments, and conquer all banners to claim the throne (though not made of iron here - budget issue). Still, it's all about having a better development strategy than the other players...
iubes:2 vs iubes:1
- to sum up: everything has been upgraded/improved
- new rendering engine
- new interface
- more computer modes for solo/offline players
- matchmaking has been replaced with a strategic map/ world/ quest
- various new environments and better landscape distribution
- improved AIs, they will now be able to learn and avoid inevitable deaths
- no more day/night cycle (was somehow fun, but too much hazardous)
- you'll have more control over the iubes thanks to strategic totems
- improved construction queue (cancel and destroy buildings, you wanted that!)
- new buildings, new ways of destruction (you'll love the catapult)
- the ability to visually customize your own iubes
- increased iubes cap (mass armies are coming)
- lot of enhancements thanks to all iubes:1 feedbacks
- more sound tracks (got a couple of fanboys here)
- and more!
- and of course... available on steam (if you wish)
they said about iubes:1"It doesnâ€™t quite look like anything else ... fascinating stuff."
- ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN"The way everything looks in the game is simple and simply wonderful [...] IUBES really stands out as a fun strategy game to play."
- SOFTPEDIA"A wonderful art style and some great ideas."
- ALPHA BETA GAMER"I really can't describe this thing, this game is weird. In a super good way."
Work is almost complete. A wider beta session may start in about 1-2 months to balance new features before opening the gates of mayhem.
Please note: actual screens are from the V1 engine ; there's still a couple of stuff to fix and decisions to make. Anyway new visuals will be revealed soon... (you can follow me on @codrer
if you feel this absolute need to know before the others).
I create indie games since 1993, and this is my first journey on Steam. I hope to see you all during the final beta test and read your ideas and suggestions!