Quench is a story-driven puzzle game set in a colourful, lo-fi world. You play as Shepherd, an avatar of nature, and you have the power to control the weather to guide herds of animals on a perilous journey.
You must protect your flock, tend the land, and unravel the mystery of the strange smokebeasts that have invaded the world. Quench
is inspired by joyful classics such as The Lion King
, Avatar: the Last Airbender
. If you're wondering how it plays, it's been compared to Lemmings
or From Dust
, because you control the environment while animals move on their own.
Controlling the Weather
- Summon rain to bring life to withered plants, quench fires and calm enraged spirits.
- Create gusts of wind to hurry your animals along, confuse attackers, and shift great dunes of sand.
- Quake the earth to break open chasms and fountains, stun smokebeasts, and clear boulders blocking the way.
- Strike lightning to start fires, revive fallen animals and obliterate foes. But don't forget to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of nature!
LevelsQuench is planned to have 28 gorgeous, handmade levels.
Every level has unique objectives, such as keeping your herds safe from harm, restoring a natural feature or calming an enraged spirit. Levels also have special challenges that can be undertaken, like avoiding the use of certain powers or keeping every creature alive. Play through the story and then go back and see if you can beat every challenge!
- The Shepherd objective requires you to assist one or more animal herds as they make their way to a safe zone.
- The Shelter objective requires you to keep herds alive in stationary locations while they are battered by dangers such as fire or spirits outside the playerâ€™s control.
- The Restore objective requires you to restore a natural feature, like an Elder Tree, or even an entire region.
- The Force of Nature objective requires you to suppress all danger or survive for a fixed amount of time, but circumstances allow you to wield limitless power to do so. This happens only rarely, when your herds or the Elder Trees face dire threats.
HerdsThe animal tribes all have different personalities and abilities.
Some herds brave danger while others shy away; some are adept at dealing with certain terrain or weather or have weaknesses that must be taken into account. The animals you'll encounter in Quench
are Elephants, Springbok, Wildebeest, Zebra, Baboons and Lions.
SmokebeastsSmokebeasts are mysterious spirits, shrouded in ash and embers, encountered by the animal tribes as they make their way to the Eastern Elder Tree.
You can use your powers to affect different smokebeasts in different ways. Although all smokebeasts can be eliminated with a Lightning strike or two, there are many ways to deal with their presence when a herd gets too close. You could Quake a landslide to block their view, calm their anger with soothing Rain, or steer them away with Wind. But watch out -- not all of your powers will work on every smokebeast.
StoryYou are Shepherd, an avatar of the Western Elder Tree, and you control the weather. Your first friend is Shaman, the new leader of the Elephant Tribe.
Shaman has an enormous task ahead of her: gathering all the scattered tribes of animals and bringing them to the Eastern Elder Tree on the other side of the world. You must help her and the others -- but you soon discover that the land is dying, and strange smoky spirits are appearing everywhere.
The story of Quench
is a framed as an illustrated fable about overcoming differences to restore the world. The game explores the ways in which kindness, compassion and forgiveness are powers unto themselves
, both through the game mechanics, which focus on nurturing/protecting as the primary means of action, and through the way the characters interact and grow in the course of the game.