The Rabbit and the Owl is a puzzle-platformer which introduces an interdependent 2x2-dimensional landscape. These two characters exist in a world in which a window for one is simultaneously a barrier for the other. You must help the Rabbit and the Owl navigate through the positive and negative spaces of mind-bending puzzles to discover the secrets of the strange land that they are a part of.
Development started in April 2015. It will tentatively release in early 2017.
All images and videos are from in-progress development - subject to change and improvements! In particular, the background art for many levels are still concept sketches so expect quality at least as refined as the box art or world map!
Setting and Story
The game is set in an ethereal world where light and darkness prevail. Remnants of an ancient civilization litter the landscape. Two kindred spirits, for reasons unknown, have manifested themselves as the Rabbit and the Owl. They are driven eastward to find what the world has lost.
You will discover snippets of stories from this long-lost culture as you progress through the game, stylized as myths, legends, fables, journal entries, newspaper clippings, poems, and more. Piece them together to discover what happened to the people who once inhabited the land and why the Rabbit and the Owl are here now.
- Control two characters in a monochromatic landscape - the white Rabbit occupies dark areas, and the black Owl occupies light areas
- A combination of light platforming and deep puzzles
- Puzzles require the Rabbit and Owl to help each other - create blocks, activate levers, ride wind columns, traverse portals, and more
- Painterly artwork by artist Andrew Chen
- Calming, original soundtrack composed by David Huff and Patrick Neff to enjoy while solving fun (i.e. difficult) puzzles
- At least 35 planned levels; hours of gameplay
- Thought-provoking, interpretive story
- Controller Support
- Game can be fully completed solo, but local co-op (2 controllers or Keyboard/Mouse + 1 controller) will be available if you wish to solve puzzles with a friend
The game will be available on Windows, Mac, and Linux DRM-free. We are now greenlit on Steam!
I also plan to reach out to other common distributors (Humble, GOG, and more).
I develop under the name Formal Sheep. It has been my dream to create games for a living, and this title will be my first release!Connect with me
Email: [email protected]
Andrew ChenLevel Designer
Justin OlesenMusic Composers
Patrick NeffSound Designer
Topher PirklSpecial Thanks
Follow the progress of the game and related news on the blog here: http://formalsheep.com/blog.html
Thanks for reading - I’ve put a lot of love into the game and hope that others get to experience it as well. Please support me by following me online and spreading the word! I plan on having a Kickstarter in a few months, so stay tuned.