2016-06-03: item has been marked as Incompatable
2016-06-04: item has been marked as Compatable
2016-07-06: item has been marked as Incompatible
2016-07-06: item has been marked as Compatible
2018-04-13: status changed from 'Greenlit' to 'Released'
A JRPG inspired, cinematic story driven game. Set in the beautiful city state Lorna, uncover the conspiracies and broken souls within.
At its core Melancholy Republic is built upon the best and most poignant memories from JRPG stories, their cities and their music. Exploring classic JRPG cities such as Final Fantasy's Midgar and Lindblum or Chrono Trigger's Zeal are key inspirations for Melancholy Republic. The greatest JRPG moments are found in uncovering the hidden corners and small stories of the game's populations.
Melancholy Republic is crafted to recapture the essence of a deep and thoughtful experience through the personal political story of a woman trying to change her world. The story is told across four chapters, each with its own memorable characters and their stories that unfold. Using a mix of beautiful illustrations and sprite art to tell the a deep, multi-layered tale, explore the city or Lorna, speak to hundreds of characters and get lost in the mature, story based adventure of Claire C. Lockridge.
• Experience the deep and tragic story of Claire and Marianne. Set against the backdrop of a richly detailed political and cultural world.
• Explore the beautiful and vast environments across the city of Lorna. From the rich halls of parliament to the vast 'slums sky rise'.
• Uncover the heartbreaking stories by meeting the people of Lorna. Each chapter has a self contained story introducing new memorable characters and their own personal stories.
• Savour a rich, varied and original soundtrack. In the spirit of classic JRPGs Melancholy Republic boasts a heavily melodic and deeply original collection of music.
• Make decisions that change aspects of the story. Claire will often have a choice to make which will affect aspects of her story (think Final Fantasy 7, not Dragon Age).
Melancholy Republic has received an interim British Video Game Certification from the British Film Institute in order to qualify for tax relief on any production costs. This means more of the money raised will be spent on development, therefore increasing the quality of the final product.