Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) for PC, Mac, and eventually Linux. It has an unusual, original feel, freely mixing ideas from older and newer MMOs with a whole bunch of ideas never before seen in any MMO. The lead developer worked on Asheron's Call 1 and 2 (among other games) and is tired of cookie-cutter MMOs. It's time for MMOs to return to creating complex, innovative gameplay.
The game is already playable at projectgorgon.com, and we have a Kickstarter to help fund the game going now.
An Immersive World
All MMOs have to find a balance between "directed game" and "immersive world". Recently, most MMOs go 99% "directed game". Project: Gorgon adds a whole lot more "immersive world" to the mix. It focuses on exploration (even the combat skills must be discovered), and has dozens of game mechanics to help create an interactive world that feels real, like:
- If you're on fire, you can jump in a lake to put it out. That kind of real world touch can have a subtle effect on your strategies â€“ especially when youâ€™re fighting a fire mage!
- You can drop items on the ground, and other players can pick them up. What's so great about that? Imagine laying down a trail of literal (virtual) breadcrumbs to lure one of your friends into the woods.
- Shopkeepers really keep inventory, so you can buy the items other players sold them. Want to help out the newbies? Sell your cast-off uber weapons to the shopkeep in the newbie zone and watch them go to town.
- Each non-player character (NPC) you meet has their own goals and interests, and rewards players that choose to be their friend.
- You can inscribe messages on items, write books, even leave notes for other players. Make your name as an in-game poet, or just record your best kills on your sword.
And lots more. These sorts of game mechanics help make the world feel more real, a place you actually want to spend some time in, rather than just a place you run through as you're driving between monsters to kill.
Tight, Complex Combat
A lot of the game is about killing monsters and taking their stuff, and you'll do often. So weâ€™ve designed Project: Gorgon to keep the experience fun and interesting. Our combat mechanics are fresh and weâ€™re still trying out new ideas every week in development. Loot is randomly generated; monsters each have unique abilities; and dungeons have puzzles, traps, and terrifying bosses!
And the combat skills! These are entirely free-form. You can learn as many combat skills as you want, and use any two of them at the same time to create your own personal "class". There are many skills already in the game, plus many more to come. Some of the current ones are:
- Battle Chemistry: Create huge explosions! Inject yourself with mysterious mutagens! Program a pet golem!
- Unarmed Combat: Grapple and control enemies using a situational-aware combo system that varies based on where you are and even what day it is.
- Animal Handling: Tame animals and train them to become ferocious fighters. Then breed your best and sell their offspring to other players!
- Necromancy: Seek out corpses and graveyards to raise your army. No graveyard around? Well... there's always the corpses of your friends...
That's just a sample. There's also Sword Fighting, Combat Psychology, Staff Fighting, Sigil Scripting, Mentalism, and more.
All Kinds of Things To Discover
I've been making MMOs for a long time and I have a lot of crazy ideas I've always wanted to try out. A bunch of them are in this game:
- You can discover "words of power" and then say them in chat to activate their magic.
- Skills are all intertwined in interesting ways. Want to be the best swordsman ever? Practice your calligraphy to get better hand-eye coordination with the sword!
- A unique dual death-penalty system. Explore the world without fear of death, but when it comes time to fight boss monsters, you'd better take it seriously!
- Want a scarier game? Customize your death penalty. Why should a game only have one death penalty, anyway?!
- "Behavior badges" recognize what you do in game. Want to be a vegetarian? Okay, just don't eat meat! Pacifist? Fine. Refuse to wear helmets? Sure, okay. The game recognizes these things, and many others. Players can see it on your character sheet. You don't get anything special for it -- just recognition of your choices.
- Become a werewolf and become a killing machine, but you'll be driven by the moon -- the real-world full moon!
And a ton more. Plus we have lots of weird crafting ideas, fun new ways to let players create content for one another, and a lot more in the works.
There's a ton more to talk about. You can catch some of it on our Kickstarter page, and more importantly, discover it for yourself by playing the alpha version right now, free, on projectgorgon.com.