2016-06-03: item has been marked as Incompatable
2016-06-04: item has been marked as Compatable
2018-01-18: status changed from 'Greenlit' to 'Released'
Popup Dungeon is a roguelike dungeon crawler for PC, Mac, and Linux that lets players create any weapon, any ability, any enemy, and any character they can imagine. Itâ€™s a papercraft version of an enchanted board game with tactical, turn-based RPG gameplay in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics. It can be challenged alone or through hot seat or online multiplayer and is scheduled for release in 2016. (From Triple.B.Titles, the makers of Ring Runner)
- Roguelike: permanent death, quick gains, procedural dungeons
- Tactical Turn-Based RPG: fast-paced, strategic game play
- Infinitely Extensible: Users can easily create: weapons, abilities, characters, and enemies.
- Papercraft: We hand-fold every pixel to ensure every dungeon is fresh and lively for you!
- Multiplayer: Hot Seat or Online Coop (Versus mode is a Stretch Goal)
- Flexible Party Size: Dungeon Crawl alone or with a party
- Variable Challenges: Choose the dungeon crawl that's right for your schedule, from single-seaters to infinite descents.
- Persistent Gains: Charms awarded by The Wizard after a run are permanent and give every character under your control a bonus. They are quite magical. Collect and combine them to achieve curious effects.
- Experienced Team: Made by Triple.B.Titles, an independent studio that has previously taken a game from Kickstarter and Greenlight to Steam.
The game play is something like Final Fantasy Tactics
meets a Dungeons and Dragons
board game. It's turn-based and the movement is handled on a simple grid. While Popup Dungeon will not be "twitch-based" or require lightning reflexes, we hope to make the action as lively as possible, with fast-paced, decisive combat
It features all manners of game mechanics you can expect from games like these, and maybe even some you don't expect!
The extensive customization and user-creation system will allow players to put nearly any strategy they can imagine into effect.
Long ago or yet to be, a Wizard from another world stabbed his tower into the side of the Earth like an immense dagger. It pierced into stone and time, deeper than anyone can ever dig. The only way in is through portals scattered around the world. These portals are disguised as enchanted board games, and they come with an invitation:â€œCome, morsels. Your bodies do not interest me; it is human imagination which I invite into my domain. Only the greatest of you will reach the high spire of my lair, now buried deep in the roiling rock. And I will be waiting, fork in hand, to devour the banquet of your creativity with a side of wits.â€
- Party Size: Trek through dungeons deep as a single character or control an entire party of up to five characters. The dungeons will scale in size, population, and difficulty according to party size. Any of these characters can be controlled by other players (up to 5 players in all) in coop modes.
- Vendi-Machines: Encounter various "vending" machines scattered about the dungeon depths, allowing you to purchase equipment, upgrade items, reclaim your experience points, and more using in-game gold you collect from your adventures.
- Ultra-Simple Inventory:Replace, drop, or turn items into gold on the spot. There's no digging through bags, going to town, or playing Tetris with odd shapes in an inventory screen.
- Charms:Win or lose, The Wizard grants you a parting gift: your choice of three prize capsules, each containing a magical Charm. The deeper you've delved into the dungeon, the more powerful the charms will be, and more powerful charms enable you to go further than you ever have. How deeply will you bury yourself?
- Simple 3 Stat System:Health, Power, and Speed. Health determines AC and HP, Power determines the potency of your abilities, and Speed determines your Action Points (AP, similar to mana in other games, refreshing every turn, only you use them for movement as well).
- More Tile Sets! Because we are in the initial phase of development, only the basic dungeon tile set is complete. Back us on KICKSTARTER to vote on which additional tile sets we'll develop. Choose from ideas like: apocalyptic caves, starships, office buildings, haunted houses, or suggest your own idea!
- Touch Input Compatible: Touch-screen compatible input!
more information, please visit our KICKSTARTER
page, our development
blog, or watch our videos above!Beware of digital papercuts!